Thursday, October 30, 2014

Radical Love

I mean... I would consider myself to be a loving person? someone who shares, and is kind towards people, doing all I can to help sincerely..HMMMM little did I know that this belief of myself was about to be radically challenged and changed in just a matter of months.


So, in our house we are all so used to doing things on our own. We would make our own meals, buy our own groceries,walk to college alone, always be in our rooms, apart from the rare occasions where we get to share our food or just have a small chat with each other. And this used to be our norm until in this beginning of this Semester, this beautiful Asian girl moved into our house and started literally rocking our world.


She buy groceries for the half of the house and she would cook for everyone. Her constant question, "Hey you want to have dinner?", she would initiate random worship jam sessions in the house and suggest that we all walk to college together or maybe sit in church together, and yeah I was alright with that; I mean I could deal with some sharing.. And then she starts giving even more. She is never calculative and when we ask her how much we should pay her, she would say, "I forgot lah!!". She will cook and clean and she always smiled doing it.


I must admit though, in that season were some of my darkest and most crazy days on which I would just like to be left alone without food or even company, but she and my other housemate never left me by myself. They would constantly knock on my door and ask me to come out for dinner or just be outside with them while they sang songs. I would just mostly be silent and sometimes be all emotional but they were okay and very chilled with that. Sometimes I felt as if I couldn't feel anymore and they would just be close. No intention of making things better or finding out what is going on. Just to love and be there. No questions asked just all answered with love. Those are the days where my eyes began to open so much. I am forever grateful I had them with me in that season.


This kept going. Things started to get better but she just kept loving and at one point I realized that I was getting a little bit uncomfortable with the way she just kept going and loving and i remember one day just crying out to God and saying "Lord I am a loving person, You taught me to love and share and I thought that I am okay with this but why do I feel so uncomfortable and in a way wanting to pay her back or do something for her (which is not  wrong btw) and its like I feel bad. And God just instantly challenged my mindset. He said "sweetheart this is what loving others is about. It is not about staying in your comfort and loving people from that zone and when it becomes uncomfortable, shying away." Loving only to an extent where I am still able to live my own selfish life.


God began challenging my love for Him in a radical way. He began challenging my love for others and it was uncomfortable at times (well most of the time). Something I thought came so easy for me all my life was being radically challenged and changed, till now when I look at someone for the first time my heart is compelled to love. To think positive thoughts of them even when it is hard. To believe the best in them just as Jesus would.


How about those who are not so kind? or haven't been in the past? Oh well Jesus still loves them and I'm still learning to love and accept people the way He fashioned and designed them. I'm not perfect. I have so much I want Him to challenge still and grow in. I guess if they are mean to you? just smile politely and walk away, and then don't allow that rejection to get to you. Just let it go :) Think of lovely things instead. Of how faithful God is and how much He loves us without boundaries.


Love is never self seeking, It never keeps records of wrongs, it is never envious or easily angered, it is patient and kind, it does not boast, it does not delight in evil but delights in the truth, it always hopes and always perseveres. Love never fails.

That is the Love of our great Father towards humanity which was represented by Jesus and is constantly outworked by the Holy Spirit in our daily lives. If only we could all love this way and forget titles and forget the 'ME' 'I' element, how many more broken people will be found in the church? What if we just loved them till they couldn't sin anymore because of the overwhelming love of the Father? What if we didn't care so much about their sin but their soul. What if we just did the loving and allowed God to do the changing. What would happen if we allowed God's love to shine more than us?

Rachel Lim and Shu Shu thank you so much for demonstrating God's love in such a powerful way in my life. Thank you for allowing God to Challenge me and change my thinking completely, And Thank you Lord for loving us the way you do, thank you that you challenge us and change us each day with your loving embrace, transforming us with your radical love.

Love on somebody today everyone :) Jesus loves them and we should too. May the church of Christ today be filled with the Radical love of Jesus.

All my love
Crystal

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love you sayang. Hugs from Aunty Jas in Penang.